[Click] Multicast DNS join from KernelTun?

Adam M click at irotas.net
Tue Aug 7 09:43:40 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

So I've finally solved this mystery. Apparently there's a service called
'Bonjour' installed by default on Fedora Core 3. Bonjour starts a daemon
called 'mDNSResponder', which monitors for new interfaces to come up.
When 'mDNSResponder' detects a new interface, it generates a multicast
join from that interface for group '224.0.0.251'. That's why I see the
IGMPv3 Join packet as soon as KernelTun creates the virtual interface!

Thanks,
Adam