[Click] Click CPU load

Nicola Arnoldi nicola.arnoldi at dit.unitn.it
Fri Nov 10 12:49:59 EST 2006

Results are the same with the Asus as an intermediate point.

Tx PC -> ASUS -> Rx PC

There should be a bug somewhere, 'cause the Meraki Network guys are
running (and selling) roofnet on MIPS 180MHz boards with 802.11g-like
performances.

Iperf is not a big deal, the problem is click.

Even running between two nodes (two laptops) click takes 30% cpu load on
  1.87GHz machines.

Roberto Riggio ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 12:35 +0100, Torquato Bertani wrote:
>> Hi Roberto,
>>
>> a board like asus has a limited computational power to handle so many
>> pkt/s, here some reasons:
>
> Well yes that is true, however roofnet people use also some netgear
> devices which are similar to our asus from the performances point of
> view.
>
>> -madwifi driver are not polling so you have interrupt for each pkt
>> -you can't run an iperf session from the asus, its limited cpu can't
>> generate as many pkt as you need (don't know why...)
>
> I'm not using madwifi. The asus is equipped with a broadcom wifi
> interface,
>
>> You should do a test like this one with Iperf:
>>
>> SOURCEPC-->NODE1-->NODE2-->ENDPC
>
> Actually our configuratio was:
>
> TX notebook (running roofnet) --> RX Asus WL500g
>
> Bye

Nicola Arnoldi
MSN:   dustnic82 at hotmail.com
Skype: nicola.arnoldi