[Click] Multithreaded Click Element?

Swati Sinha Deb Swati.Deb at bristol.ac.uk
Sun May 21 06:44:15 EDT 2006

Hi Click Community,

I am trying to implement a Click element which needs to have multithreaded
capability. The idea is to accept upstream packets and dispatch them to the
downstream depending on certain criteria. Ideally I would like to store the
incoming packets in a queue and process the packets on a separate thread.
Pthread tends to make the Click element very slow such that the element is
unusable.

I have tried replacing threads with Click Tasks but this did not give any
massive improvements over using Threads. router.nthreads() return 1
indicating my Click is single-threaded. Have tried hacking the
/lib/driver.cc code to set the initial threads to 10 and running the task
on a separate thread, something is obviously not correct as the Task is not
being scheduled.

I am using userlevel click 1.4.3 release. Have configured Click with
"-enable-multithread=10".

Can you please suggest the correct Click classes I should be using in order
to implement the above?

Regards,
Swati