[Click] Building elements as a package

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 23 13:06:09 EST 2006

Rajendra,

Click package makefiles are pretty simple and I would recommend you stick to
the Click system.  It is a major headache to build makefiles that work with
userlevel, linux 2.4, and linux 2.6.

Click package makefiles work as follows.

- Create a directory like etc/samplepackage
- Dump .cc and .c files in that directory
- Decorate those .cc and .c files with ELEMENT_PROVIDES()/EXPORT_ELEMENT()
statements
- The makefile system should find all of those .cc/.c files and compile and
link them together.

If you say a bit more about what cmake is doing for you someone on the list
may be able to help.

automake is not the right approach for Click, btw.

Eddie