[Click] problem with new element and kernel click

Alastair McKinley amckinley03 at qub.ac.uk
Tue Mar 21 13:10:51 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

I am having a problem when adding a new element in kernel click.  I am
getting the old "unknown element class" message.

I created slightly modified simplequeue and timedsink elements, renamed
them and put them in ../elements/local.  I tested them at userlevel on
my laptop and they worked fine.  So then I moved to the real box I want
to use them in kernel mode.

I ran these commands:

(1) ./configure --enable-local
--with-linux=/usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.13.2-click
(2) make
(3) make elemlist
(4) make install

Now when I try and run my test configuration in kernel mode
click-install reports that these two new element classes are unknown.
However, the same configuration works in userlevel.

The elements are listed in ../linuxmodule/elements.conf and the .o files
are in ../elements/linuxmodule/.  I have the EXPORT_ELEMENT statements
and no ELEMENT_REQUIRES statements.

So, I'm stuck now!  Can anyone give me a hand?

Best regards,

Alastair