[Click] Multicast examples

Hippi Do hippido at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 13 16:45:21 EST 2006

Hi,

  I'm using Click to build an Agent to capture packets from one Client, apply appropriate delay, and forward them to the next Agent (running Click) which then routes the packets to the final destination.  The configuration looks like below:

                LAN                 WAN                  LAN
  Client 1 <------> Agent 1 <--------> Agent 2 <--------> Client 2

  Using ARP, I was able to route UDP and TCP packets, but not multicast ones.  Using ethereal application, I was able to determine that if Client 1 sends a multicast message, Agent 1 captures it, and forwards to the WAN, however Agent 2 does not "see" the multicast packet.  From reading Cisco documentation, I understand that the router changes the last 6 bytes of the destination MAC address to that of the multicast IP address.  I appreciate if any help and examples how to handle multicast and broadcast messages in Click.

  Best regards,
  Hippi Do