[Click] buffersizes

Wenjun Hu Wenjun.Hu at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 6 13:13:12 EST 2006

A few things to try:

Assuming your wireless interface is called ath0,

ifconfig ath0 txqueuelen 1
ifconfig ath0raw txqueuelen 1 (if you're using the raw device)

Then in if_athvar.h within the madwifi source code, there's a constant called
ATH_TXBUF that's probably set to 200. That's the default value for txqueuelen
when you load the driver module. You could reduce this number, but beware that
it might cause packet (frame) drops on the card if you make it too small.

There's also a linked list structure in the driver (e.g., you'll see
netif_wake_queue and netif_sleep_queue in a few functions in if_ath.c) that
contains frames to be sent. You could make sure there's only ever one frame in
the list (i.e., call sleep queue as soon as one frame is there), but this
could cause a lot of interrupts, and I'm not sure about the general
implications for performance.

If your packets will go through some socket buffer in the kernel, then you
might want to change the size of that too.

There's probably some buffer on the card too, but you probably can't change
that unless you can access the firmware.

Hope this helps,

Wenjun