[Click] Testing RED

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jun 21 13:14:18 EDT 2006

Hi John,

So it'll depend on what you're trying to test.  The basic idea is simple --
just send a lot of packets into a queue that isn't draining that fast.  RED
drops packets in this configuration for me:

RatedSource(RATE 1000) -> r::RED(10, 20, 0.2) -> Queue -> TimedSink(0.0005);
r[1] -> Print -> Discard

(Dropped packets are printed.)  Note that this config doesn't have any kind of
end-to-end feedback loop, like you'd see with TCP congestion control.

Eddie