[Click] how do i measure packets per second?

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 17:43:22 EDT 2006

Hi Azeem,

   I am a completely new user to click so please forgive me for asking a
> couple of very trivial questions. If these are answered elsewhere please
> point me to the URL. I could not figure out how to search the mailing list
> archives.

Have a look at Click's FAQ http://www.read.cs.ucla.edu/click/faq , there's
an item that explains how to search the Click mailing list.
" Use Google search with the site:amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu tag."

1. How do I use the fakeip-router.click configuration file that comes in the
> conf directory. I modified it for the IP and MAC addresses that I have
> but...
>
> Running it using the command "click-install fakeip-router.click" causes an
> error which says
> something about overflow in queue out0. Increasing queue size to 20000 did
> not help. A further increase caused an out of memory error. What am I
> doing
> wrong?

I cant comment on the fakeip-router.click as I have never used it.

Click's kernel mode queue element can only handle a maximum of around 32k
packets due to the kernel's kmalloc limit. I posted a BufferQueue element
the other week that overcomes this by using vmalloc instead. I successfully
run a 500k queue in kernel mode. Let me know and I'll mail it off the list
to you.

2. I created a configuration for a router using the make-ip-conf.pl. I need
> advice on the best tools to use to test the forwading throughput of my
> router. I know about iperf but is there anything else that is also
> recommended? Also, for Gigabit cards, is Cat-5e ok? I am using 2 metre
> length cables.

Have a look at the Counters elements on
http://www.read.cs.ucla.edu/click/elements

Beyers