[Click] how do i measure packets per second?

Azeem Khan azeem_k at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 1 10:27:53 EDT 2006

Hello,

   I am a completely new user to click so please forgive me for asking a
couple of very trivial questions. If these are answered elsewhere please
point me to the URL. I could not figure out how to search the mailing list
archives.

I am using Click 1.5 in kernel mode using the compatible 2.6 kernel. I am
interested in getting the packets per second that the click router can
process on my machine. I am currently interested only in getting the time it
takes to process per IP packet (by first finding the packets per second and
then taking the reciprocal of this number)

  I have the following questions.

1. How do I use the fakeip-router.click configuration file that comes in the
conf directory. I modified it for the IP and MAC addresses that I have
but...

Running it using the command "click-install fakeip-router.click" causes an
error which says
something about overflow in queue out0. Increasing queue size to 20000 did
not help. A further increase caused an out of memory error. What am I doing
wrong?

2. I created a configuration for a router using the make-ip-conf.pl. I need
advice on the best tools to use to test the forwading throughput of my
router. I know about iperf but is there anything else that is also
recommended? Also, for Gigabit cards, is Cat-5e ok? I am using 2 metre
length cables.

Thank You.
Azeem Khan.