[Click] 802.11 tunning

David Fuste dfuste at ac.upc.edu
Tue Apr 25 10:49:59 EDT 2006

Hi all,
Currently, I am doing research in the area of wireless ad-hoc networks
and more exactly, in some improvements to achieve better operation and
functioning of these networks.
One of my needs is to be able to "tune" the values of DIFS, SIFS, NAV...
parameters of the 802.11 standard. In Click Modular Router, I've found
these parameters in "clicknet/wifi.h".
So, I just want to know if these parameters (constants in wifi.h) are
beared in mind by the kernel (or wireless iface) when click starts to
run, or simply are values never used by the kernel of linux (so, they
are only nomenclature in wifi.h).
I mean, if I change the value of the SIFS for example, will it cause
changes in the time that the wireless interface wait for sending ACKs or
not? So, does Click can really change the value of the Short Inter Frame
Space of the wireless interface?

Thanks a lot!