[Click] [OT] - Any suggestions on what hardware to buy?

Nicholas Weaver nweaver at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Apr 21 13:55:41 EDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 06:40:05PM +0100, Alastair McKinley composed:
> Hi Nicholas and Roman,

> Thanks for your comments.

> The bandwidth I'm expecting is quite low.  Average about 8Mbits/port.
>
> I'm trying to analyse and process the traffic from a number of different
> hosts using Click.  Unfortunately each host needs to be connected to a
> unique interface.
>
> I haven't eliminated the idea of abandoning this approach altogether,
> but I would like to give it a try.

I really think with a desire to scale to 40+ hosts, you would do
better buying a managed GigE switch.  Have each host's port on its own
VLAN, with the connection(s) to the click box as a VLAN-tagged trunk.

This way, the click host has full connectivity, but each host can only
reach the click ports.

Nicholas C. Weaver                               nweaver at icsi.berkeley.edu
     This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for higher security.