[Click] ToDevice and ppp0 dial-up interface

Daniel Henkel henk at gmx.com
Tue Apr 18 07:57:01 EDT 2006

All,

I'm trying to use Click to interface to a dial-up connection. Yes, one
of these 18th century technologies, I know. But here I'm going through
a CDMA phone and a USB cable into my Gentoo (2.6.11.11) box Soekris
4801.

I have control over both base station and phone settings, I use pppd
with chat to establish the data call, and I end up with the ppp0
interface.

The strange thing now is that ping, ssh, telnet etc. work nicely over
the link, but Click doesn't seem to properly interface with ppp0. The
interface supports link-level protocol LINUX_SLL (Linux cooked).

I'm in userland, and I can monitor all traffic coming into ppp0 with
Click (FromDevice), but sending packets with ToDevice(ppp0) seems
problematic. Tcpdump -i ppp0 shows packets going to the interface, but
they don't make it through the link since the receiving end of the
'tunnel' never sees them (I can monitor the base station). I've tried
straight IP packets and PPPEncap'ed packets, but none are received at
the destination. ToDevice[0] shows they are all nicely sent, though.

Anyone done that before? Anyone any idea what to try?

Cheers,
- Daniel.