[Click] Basic problem of how to transfer packet to kernel under user-level click

Beyers Cronje bcronje at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 06:50:27 EDT 2006

Hi Zhang,

In userlevel click all packets are processed by the Linux kernel, with click
sitting on a 'higher' level than the kernel, so there is no need to forward
local destined packets to linux as linux already received and processed
these packets. Userlevel FromDevice receives packets from the kernel either
via raw packet socket or via pcap library.

Click kernel module works differently as all packets are intercepted BEFORE
they reach the linux kernel networking stack. For this reason it's required
to forward local destined packet to linux for processing.

Hope this helps.

Beyers Cronje