[Click] packet size

Koen Segers koen.segers at edpnet.be
Thu Apr 13 09:09:35 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm working on an evaluation of my protocol, which was created in nsclick. I
need to check the packet size of my messages. I wrote my own tosimdump
element to add extra info into the ns2 tracefiles. The problem I'm having is
that the packet size written by click is not the same as the packet size
written by ns2, while they are printing information about the same packet.

The difference between the two size is allways 38 bytes. This is suspicous
(ethernet + ip + udp).

According to ethereal, click reports the correct packet size.

So do I need to substract 38 bytes from every packet size reported by ns2 to
get the real packet size? If so, why?

greetz
--

Koen Segers