[Click] Problems Installing Click on Netgear Router wgt634u

Bob Keyes bob at sinister.com
Mon Sep 26 15:16:48 EDT 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Bita Mazloom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install Click on a router. I am following follow the
> instructions of "Hacking the Netgear wgt634u" http://
> sarwiki.informatik.hu-berlin.de/Hacking_the_Netgear_wgt634u as part
> of the Berlin Roof Net Project. The instructions ask us to install
> ssh-main on the router. The script results in an error since the link
> to downloading root.lpr is not available at sar.informatik.hu-
> berlin.de/research.

If you are looking for an advanced mesh routing firmware image that
actually works, I suggest you check out roofne for the wgt634u:
http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/roofnet/doku.php?id=wgt634u

However, note that installing this revised firmware removes many functions
of the standard firmware, such as changing the LAN address, and setting
the channel and SSID. I've fixed some of these problems, but many remain.

BRN for the wgt634u seems to be abandonedware, as does their OpenWGT
project. The OpenWRT people now support the WGT634U, but it is still very
much in the 'alpha' stage.

I spent a lot of time with these netgear routers, but now I am facing two
problems: the supply is drying up (can't get the routers dirt cheap
anymore) and I am having troubles with corrupted firmware that appears to
be unfixable (be careful of how many times you flash the unit, I guess).

So, I am looking for another platform to use. Probably either Soekris or
PC Engines WRAP (both of which are much more expensive)