[Click] Click questions

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Oct 28 17:06:11 EDT 2005

Hi Elaine,

> 1) I had a hard time trying to make click compile as linuxmodule
> under an emulab-supported kernel. I was working with RHL90-UPDATE,
> and I made a lot effort manually resolving conflicts between the
> click patch and the emulab customized kernel. I was able to make it
> compile in the end, but when it came to linking, there were still
> 10-20 kernel symbols missing, either not implemented by the emulab
> kernel or not exported, spanning many different kernel source
> files. I wonder if you have any suggestions or if you are aware of
> any other people who have already done this.

OK.  Do you mean here that you changed the source, but did not change
the compiled version of the Emulab kernel on which you were
attempting to run Click? That would not work, since Click demands a
couple of symbols that aren't available by default.  Have you asked
the Emulab folks about this?

> 2) I wanted to ask about how the inter-component communication
> overhead scales. I have a component in my router that does
> something like stochastic fair queuing, and I noticed that if I
> raise the number of queues, I am getting very bad thruput. I am
> thinking of putting all the queues and some other stuff in a single
> element. I wonder if that would help.

Can you send a version of the problematic configuration?  And the
expected number of queues?

Eddie