[Click] (no subject)

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Thu May 26 21:57:11 EDT 2005

Hi David,

> Hi,
> I have a FromDevice element in promiscuous mode.
> I want to send some packets received by this device to host, this
> is, to the
> ToHost element.
> So, due to the promiscuous mode, I have to check if this packets
> have the
> destination address equals to the host address.
> My question is:
>
> Do I only have to check the destination ethernet address of the
> packet and next,
> if it is equals to the MAC address of the host, send the packet to
> ToHost?
> Or I have to check both the destination ethernet address and the
> destination ip
> address of the packet before send the packet to ToHost?
> I don't know if this last check is made by ToHost (kernel,...) or not.

You only need to check the MAC address.  And, in fact, you don't even
really need to check that; Linux device drivers will set packets'
"packet type" to OTHERHOST if the MAC addr doesn't match, and then
the Linux network stack will correctly ignore those packets.  See the
manual page for ToHost for more.

Eddie