[Click] Very strange ToHost functionality

Bart Braem bart.braem at ua.ac.be
Thu Mar 31 10:32:44 EST 2005

Hello,

When trying to figure out how to let ToHost work in userlevel to get a simple
ping cross the network I tried to use EnsureEther to ensure the ethernet
addresses of what goes to ToHost correspond to the ones with the Arpresponder
on FromHost. That didn't work out but I changed the Arpresponder to always
overwrite the existing headers and it worked.
Now I began wondering why and how this is possible and I changed the
destination addresses of the arpresponder to non-existant addresses in my
network and pinging still works. Of course I tried removing ensureether but
then pinging doesn't work any more...
So my question comes down to: how do you properly set up the arpresponders to
work for fromhost and tohost? My configuration is based on one tun device and
one real device. The real device is put in promiscuous mode and all traffic
is said to originate from the tun devices. I then try to ping from one tun
device to the other one.
I'll try to distill a small configuration, currently there are AODV elements
in the way...

Bart