[Click] Ping Question

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Jun 12 15:45:07 EDT 2005

Hi Ashwin,

Sorry for the delay...

In the elements/local directory (CVS checkout only), you'll see a couple of
ping-like elements that might still work, including TCPAck and TCPReflector.

There are also a handful of other 'mirror' elements including IPMirror and
EtherMirror.

Of these elements, only ICMPPingSource remembers round-trip times.  If you want
to collect one RTT sample per ping, ICMPPingSource's handlers won't help you
that much; they report only summary information.  You'd need to look at its
per-ping printouts, which (in the kerneL) you can find in 'dmesg' or
/var/log/messages.  If you felt like adding a handler to report, say, the last
10 RTT samples, we'd love to see it!

Also, ICMPPingSource doesn't ping a *list* of nodes.  That should be pretty
simple to add.

Eddie