[Click] nsclick promiscuous interface

Bart.Jooris bart.jooris at intec.ugent.be
Wed Jun 1 04:52:39 EDT 2005

Hello,

Based on the information I found from Mike (November 2004 Archive) I added
a sniffer to the simple wired lan example (nsclick tutorial by Michael Neufeld).

This is the code of my Sniffer.click:

  // Sniffer
  //
  FromSimDevice(eth0,4096) ->
	ToDump(Sniffer)->
	Discard;

  Idle->
	ToSimDevice(eth0);

I inserted this code in the tcl script after the node generator for loop

  set i 4

  set node_($i) [$ns_ node]
  $node_($i) add-wired-interface $chan_1_ $netll $netmac \
    	  $netifq 1 $netphy
*  $node_($i) setpromiscuous 0 1*
  $node_($i) random-motion 0
  $node_($i) topography $wtopo
  $node_($i) nodetrace $tracefd
  [$node_($i) set classifier_] setnodename "node$i­sniffer"
  [$node_($i) entry] loadclick "Sniffer.click"

After running the simple wired lan example I opened the
Sniffer file with ethereal. There was only one entry, the arp broadcast :(

any ideas on this?

Thnx,

Bart.

Hello-
You can do promiscuous mode in nsclick, you just have to enable it from
the tcl part of your scripts. For example, to make eth0 go promiscuous:

$node setpromiscuous 0 1

-Mike

Nicolas Letor wrote:
>/ Hello,
/>/
/>/ In the nsclick user manual (p11) there is a  simple bridge example
/>/ with the following click script.
/>/ "
/>/ FromSimDevice(eth0, 4096) -> Queue -> ToDump(eth0.txt) -> ToSimDevice(eth1);
/>/ FromSimDevice(eth1, 4096) -> Queue -> ToDump(eth1.txt) -> ToSimDevice(eth0);
/>/ "
/>/
/>/ I tried it out, but it doesn't work because the bridge can only
/>/ forward packets who a broadcast address.  So I thought by enabling
/>/ promiscous mode the bridge example.
/>/
/>/ Unfortunately nsclick's FromSimDevice doesn't support promiscous mode.
/>/  Has anyone an idea to solve this problem of promiscous mode?
/>/
/>/ Thanks,
/>/ Letor Nico/

--
Bart Jooris
Department of Information Technology (INTEC)

Location:
Complex Zuiderpoort - Blok C0 - Bureau 3.13