[Click] bug in todevice.cc for linuxmodule?

Frederic Van Quickenborne frederic.vanquickenborne at intec.ugent.be
Mon Jan 24 05:51:14 EST 2005

Hi all,

for some tests we used the click modular router as a gateway between a 100
Mbit/s and a 10 Mbit/s network. But we had lot's of troubles understanding
the resulting packet loss and delays of the packets, e.g., the first test
after installing the click configuration differed from later tests. Then we
found a possible problem as the tickets for the fromdevice were as high as
1024 and the tickets for the todevice were very low. Then we used the
nostride option when configuring click, but nothing changed.

We compared the code around the adjust_tickets call in the fromdevice and
the todevice, and we found this:

in fromdevice.cc, line 324:
<code>
#if CLICK_DEVICE_ADJUST_TICKETS
     adjust_tickets(npq);
#endif
</code>

in todevice.cc, line 286:
<code>
     adjust_tickets(npq);
</code>
without any #if CLICK_DEVICE_...

Is it possible that the #if and the #endif lines were forgotten in the
todevice.cc file?

Anyway, after deletion of the adjust_tickets lines, the packet loss and the
delays were quite predictable (but Click is a lot more performant when
using the automatic tickets adjustment and when using polldevices).

Kind regards,
Frederic.

Frederic Van Quickenborne
Department of Information Technology (INTEC)
Ghent University - IMEC
Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, B-9000 Gent, Belgium
tel.: +32 (0)9-264 9957; tel. secr.: +32 (0)9-264 9970
fax: +32 (0)9-264 9960
Frederic.VanQuickenborne at intec.ugent.be
http://www.ibcn.intec.ugent.be