[Click] Click on Network Appliance ?

Nicholas Weaver nweaver at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Feb 28 11:10:02 EST 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:58:53AM -0500, Marc E. Fiuczynski composed:
> Hi Beyers & Eddie,
>
> The SOSP paper you mentioned was done by folks before my arrival at
> Princeton.
>
> You might also be interested in:
>
> Niraj Shah, William Plishker, Kurt Keutzer, "NP-Click: A Programming Model
> for the Intel IXP1200", http://www.gigascale.org/pubs/356.html

Another related project:

"CUSP: A Modular Framework for High Speed Network Applications on
FPGAs", by Graham Schelle and Dirk Grunwald (FPGA 2005)

ACM Portal copy:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1046192.1046224

which is applying a Click-derived model for FPGA network
applications.  The interesting part from the software Click
community's viewpoint is that the module notion carries over really
well (although as streams passing data through the elements), and that
elements are explicitly executed in parallel, with conditional
execution/rollback so that only the modules which needed to be invoked
generate a result.

Also, claim within about 25% of the area of a hand design (with
equivelent performance).

Nicholas C. Weaver                               nweaver at icsi.berkeley.edu
     This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for higher security.