[Click] Timers

Martin Hoffmann hoffmann at sra.uni-hannover.de
Thu Dec 8 04:51:52 EST 2005

Hello,

I am working on Multicast elements and have a question regarding timers.

PIM-SM (RFC2362) specifies a Neighbor-Timer (a neighbor is another PIM
capable router). A Neighbor-Timer for each neighbor is used to time out
the neighbor state.

Is there a way to initialize Click timers dynamically? At startup the
router does not know how many neighbors there will be.

I thought about using gettimeofday() and storing a time value in the
vector containing the neighbors. A timer that has been initialized at
router startup could periodically check the vector if some timers
expired and take out appropriate actions.

I'm not sure if this is a nice way to solve my problem. Any other ideas
are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Martin