[Click] how to dynamically change a route in a routing table?

Peter De Cleyn peter.decleyn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 03:14:48 EDT 2005

On 4/13/05, KyoungSoo Park <kyoungso at cs.princeton.edu> wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> I'm a newbie to Click and I have one question to ask.
> Click seems to work well with static routing scheme,
> but can I change a route dynamically while it is running?
>
> What I want is to change the route in a certain Click instance's
> routing table while it is running so that I can adjust routing
> to congestion, policy change, ... etc.

This is certainly possible! Take a look at the handlers and the
various ways how to use them. In the source are various examples on
how to communicate with the running configuration using these handlers
(via /proc, using perl scripts, even using the controlsocket and Java
program). In the documentation you can find what handlers exist for an
element.

e.g. for a routing element

add (write-only)
    Adds a route to the table. Format should be 'ADDR/MASK [GW] OUT'.
Fails if a route for ADDR/MASK already exists.
set (write-only)
    Sets a route, whether or not a route for the same prefix already exists.
remove (write-only)
    Removes a route from the table. Format should be 'ADDR/MASK'.

Peter