[Click] AP with Click

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Oct 20 16:36:26 EDT 2004

John Bicket wrote:

>>- Can I build more sophisticated features like Virtual AP one one
>> radio, also called multiple SSID or BSSID described here:
>>	http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IEEE/virtual-APs.ppt
>
> I can't read power point, but if you write your own elements you can do
> multiple ssid. But probably not bssid, because you would have to
> ack packets with addresses different from the wireless cards' mac
> address.

I just love when this idea comes up, because I can prove that I wrote it
down back in 2000.  :-)  (Patent app #20020022483 on-file at the USPTO.
  This is not a threat, neither I nor Wayport will inflict patent damage
on you for implementing same.  Its just that Mr. Aboba was not the first
to think of it.  I may not have been either.  Whatever.)

The Atheros chipset supports being able to ACK two ranges of MAC
addresses (basically a base and a mask for the whole 48 bits).  This
isn't exposed in the Madwifi HAL (perhaps 'yet').

Jim