[Click] Some Doubts

prasanth at iitg.ernet.in prasanth at iitg.ernet.in
Wed May 26 19:53:59 EDT 2004

hi,

I have just started working with the latest version
of click modular router available on the web site.I wish
to know a few things.Please help me out.

1. The installation of the click went on quite smoothly.
The installation of the configuration file (make-ip-config.pl)
of the router without polling was successful.

But, I received the following error when I tried to install
the configuration file with polling.

[root at click conf]# /usr/local/sbin/click-install my.click

my.click:25: While configuring 'PollDevice at 6 :: PollDevice':
  device `eth0' not pollable, use FromDevice instead
my.click:36: While configuring 'PollDevice at 15 :: PollDevice':
  device `eth1' not pollable, use FromDevice instead
Router could not be initialized!

What might be the problem ? Also suggest how to overcome it.

2.I am using a commercial router tester to test the different
configurations and had obtained the following results.

The following systems have the same hardware components:
Please explain why the following two differ (A & B) in their
results.

A. A linux based system (without any trace of click modular
router in the system) :

Offered Load (% of theoretical max),Throughput (% of offered load)

100.0,  0.00109930444342
90.0,  0.001135084224
80.0,  0.00095772731626
70.0,  0.00153702138124
60.0,  0.00358638303977
50.0,  0.00666830802059
40.0,  0.151154347169
30.0,  2.86665786724
20.0,  28.5155877194
10.0,  99.9476750209

B.A linux based system, with click UNinstalled in the sysem:

Offered Load (% of theoretical max),Throughput (% of offered load)

100.0,  0.0011113846701
90.0,  0.00122144933201
80.0,  0.00127696972793
70.0,  0.00103200002359
60.0,  0.00114666666667
50.0,  0.00206400018871
40.0,  0.00238528294686
30.0,  7.04482410279
20.0,  51.8142446091
10.0,  100.0

C.These are the results with click Installed in the system:
(just for the curious).

Offered Load (% of theoretical max),Throughput (% of offered load)
100.0,  0.00109930444342
90.0,  0.00120831552306
80.0,  0.00138923094021
70.0,  0.00157043483723
60.0,  0.00183217384932
50.0,  0.00219860872624
40.0,  0.00280933325842
30.0,  1.47633038343
20.0,  39.0616762637
10.0,  99.9893356551

But isn't click expected to give better results ? (or do they
improve only when polling is done ? )

My knowledge in this field is very limited and therefore
request you all to forgive my ignorance.

Thanking You,
Prasanth.