[Click] One other thing that dawned on me...

Eddie Kohler kohler at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon Mar 22 16:20:26 EST 2004

On Mar 17, 2004, at 11:21 PM, Jonathan Day wrote:

> One of the problems with Linux is that it doesn't have
> routing built-in. It has many other things - IPVS,
> netfilter, IGMPv3 (finally!), even parts of PIM.
>
> How far will the Linux kernel module integrate Click
> with the kernel? And can that module be
> double-licensed, so it can be put into the main
> kernel?

Click's current BSD-like license is fine for the kernel.  But I think
BC is right -- from recent flame wars, the chance of C++ code making it
into the kernel is zero.  In fact Linux 2.6 has build system changes
that will make it far harder for us to compile our C++ module.  Long
term it looks like the kernel developers want to move to their own
compiler, which would kill Click's Linux support entirely.

Time to think more seriously about BSD,