[Click] How to test adaptive mode with 2 CPUs?

Eddie Kohler kohler at CS.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jun 17 13:06:54 EDT 2004

Hi Alessandro,

> 1) Does this happen even if we launch click with "click-install
> --threads 2"
> option? I noticed that if i launch click with --threads 2 option, the
> system
> monitor signals 100% occupation, while it signals just 50% if i launch
> with "click-install --threads 1" or just "click-install". So I thought
> this
> was the proof that both the CPUs were being used.... was I wrong?

The real way to find out what's going on is to look at the various
thread_preference handlers.  Most elements that have tasks will provide
"/click/ELEMENTNAME/thread_preference" handler, which contains the
thread ID that the task is running on.  If they're all 0, then
everything is running on a single thread.

> Giorgio Calarco told me that I need to use another element
> called "SortedThreadSched" if i want to run a test in adaptive mode
> using both
> the 2 CPUs. I cannot find any instruction on it, neither on the
> documentation
> on click site, nor in the paper
> http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/papers/click:usenix01/usenix01.pdf (but I
> know it
> has not been written by Kohler).
>
> But I found in the directories of click1.3 an element called
> "SortedSched". I
> did not find any documentation on it too.

Right, the filename is sortedsched but the element name is
SortedTaskSched (I was wrong, it's not SortedThreadSched).

> 2) Is it the same element ( SortedSched = SortedThreadSched) ?
> 3) Since there is no documentation: how do I have to use it to run the
> adaptive test with both the CPUs?

man SortedTaskSched

Essentially, you just drop in a SortedTaskSched() element.  It has two
optional parameters which you can leave off.