[Click] madwifi.stripped driver issues

John Bicket jbicket at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Jul 8 22:27:47 EDT 2004

Hi Nels,

Sorry there isn't much documentation on the driver - if you let me know
a little more about what you're trying to do I can probably help you get
a configuration that does what you want to.

Here is some more info about the driver and what exactly it does and
why it's probably not doing what you expect:

The stripped driver functions a little differently that most device
drivers - it sends and receives 802.11 packets, not 802.3 (normal
ethernet). The normal madwifi driver handles this decapsulation and
encapsulation, and looks to linux like a ethernet driver.
There are click elements that will do this for you
(see WifiDecap and WifiEncap in the elements/wifi directory).

Since linux doesn't understand
802.11 packets and has no stack built in for them, you must use a click
configuration to send and receive packets. (linux will just discard the
packets since they don't look like normal ethernet/ip packets).

There are some sample configurations in the madwifi.stripped/etc directory.

The madwifi.stripped driver is probably useful for you if you want to do
one of
- build your own access point with its own tx rate control, power
  control, or association rules.
- work in adhoc mode (to get around bssid partitions since it seems the
  802.11 spec doesn't really support mult-hop routing in practice).
- use click to design a handoff protocol.
- anything that uses 802.11 management packets (association,
  authentication) , but not control packets (acks, rts/cts).