[Click] the linux kernel module

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jul 3 09:37:34 EDT 2004

Yihong Zhou wrote:
> After installed the linux module driver (the latest released CVS version 1.4), I tested the sample configuration files: test.click, test-device.click, print-ping.click, etc. But none of them works.  That is, I typed the command in the linux prompt.
>
> # click-install test-device.click
>
> and then it exited immediately.  lsmod show the module "click" was unused, and "proclikefs" was used by "click".  Is there anything wrong with my operations?
>
> Even, I could not ping the machine.  Would all the packets be intercepted by the installed module, even if no configuration file is running?

Hi Yihong,

Everything that you've described is to be expected.  "click-install" only prints
error messages.  Configuration output is written to the system log, which is
accessible through the "dmesg" program or through /var/log/messages.  Try
installing 'test.click' and look at dmesg; do you see the "ok: " lines?  The
test-device.click configuration states in a comment that any packets sent to the
eth0 interface will be dropped.  Do you see lines in 'dmesg' printing received
packets, though?  And finally, the click kernel module should normally be unused
(unless you install a package that depends on it).