[Click] RedHat 9 kernel and CLICK

Eddie Kohler kohler at CS.UCLA.EDU
Fri Feb 13 17:35:15 EST 2004

Hi Charles,

> I see that Click comes with a patch for only 2.4.18 kernels.

The version of Click currently checked in to CVS contains patches for
2.4.20/21.  You could probably use that patch, and click-1.3pre1 code.
(The Click code in CVS might be a bit unstable at the moment.)

> Can someone explain whether userLevel will be sufficient to obtain
> enough performance
> for a basic router configuration and or Ethernet switch configuration.
> The target environment
> is a university research lab network with five PCs.

Performance *might* be sufficient, depending on whether the research lab
does a lot of networking.  But unlikely, and it would be hard to get the
kernel configuration right.  If you want to run Click as a real router, use
it in the kernel.