[Click] RedHat 9 kernel and CLICK

Charles J Gillan C.Gillan at ecit.qub.ac.uk
Thu Feb 12 12:32:53 EST 2004

I have just installed RedHat 9 Linux on a PC and Click release
click-1.3pre1.tar.gz.

The userLevel program is running with the test configurations provided.

However, I cannot build the kernel version of Click. Further
investigation reveals that

the RedHat 9 kernel is based on 2.4.20.

I see that Click comes with a patch for only 2.4.18 kernels.

Can someone explain whether userLevel will be sufficient to obtain
enough performance

for a basic router configuration and or Ethernet switch configuration.
The target environment

is a university research lab network with five PCs.

Alternatively, is a patch available for 2.4.20 or should I rebuild with
redHat 8 which I believe to be

based on the 2.4.18 kernel.

Thanks,

Charles.

Dr. Charles J Gillan

The Institute of Electronics, Communications and Information Technology

The Queen's University of Belfast, Northern Ireland BT7 1NN, UK