[Click] How does AddressInfo work?

Dagang LI dagang.li at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Dec 8 06:33:13 EST 2004

Dear all,

I am now trying to create a new element that doesn't stand in the packet
flows. Its mere function is to mentain a state and manipulate some other
elements accordingly via handlers. I guess this element can work in a
similiar way as AddressInfo, since this AddressInfo is not involved in
the flows either.

I found AddressInfo is used (only?) in the parse functions. Its class
methods are called only when CLICK_TOOL is not defined. I have no idea
what this CLICK_TOOL is. Is it just a flag for the makefile? And what is
the purpose of it? Is there a kind of guideline to follow for these
elements that don't participate packets manipulation? I also want to
know if I want to check whether a certain element exists in the router
configuration, what shall I do?

Any help will be highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Dagang