[Click] MAC address problem with madwifi.stripped driver

Nels Anderson Nels.Anderson at colorado.edu
Fri Aug 20 17:28:42 EDT 2004

Aloha,

Hi again, I'm having a bit a strangeness with the madwifi.stripped driver and
the ethernet address of my atheros card.  When I modprobe ath_pci, everything
comes up fine.  But when I do an ifconfig on ath0, it lists shows:

ath0   Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-0D-88-8A-78-E3-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

While this is a bit odd, I wouldn't worry about it, except that ath0 isn't able
to do much anymore.  When I bring it up as an access point, no clients can
associate with it.  When I bring it up as a station, it can't associate with
anything.  I can't just ifconfig it another hw address either.  I have the
newest version of the madwifi.stripped driver from the cvs.

I'm pretty sure it's the madwifi.stripped driver, as when I load up the
sourceforge madwifi driver, it comes up with the normal mac address.  I know it
isn't just this card, as I've swapped this card with another card of identical
make and the same thing happens.  As always, any advice or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.  Thank you,

-Nels