[Click] Setting up click as simple router

Mark Huang mlhuang at CS.Princeton.EDU
Wed Apr 21 18:37:35 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 03:54 pm, Anthony G Persaud wrote:
> I am very new to click. I am wondering how I can set up click as a
> simple router between 4 machines (the fifth machine is the router
> sitting in between the 4 machines). Other than papers, is there a simple
> guide on how to setup a click configuration to make it work as a simple
> router (not using the kernel module). Also, how can I test the click
> router to make sure its routing correctly (on that local machine - not
> using the other machines).

The conf/make-ip-conf.pl script will generate a usable, user-level router
configuration with a minimum amount of editing; simply replace the Ethernet
and IP addresses with your own in the $ifs list.

I'm not sure what you mean by testing without the other machines. You can set
up a variety of fake packet sources (see the documentation for the *Source
elements) within the configuration, but I think by far the easiest way to
test your configuration is by actually running it, sprinkling Print elements
in key places, and running tcpdump while Click is running.

--Mark