[Click] SMP Click - a doubt

Eddie Kohler kohler at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 5 11:42:39 EDT 2004

Hi Giorgio,

Giorgio Calarco wrote:
>>You can try 1.4 with your current driver; it should work.
>>

> yes, but that was not the main problem, maybe you have not
> read the last part of my last e-mail:

>>2. Do the min- and max-cpu thresholds work without --enable-multithread?

I did read that.  The point is, I can't give you advice on 1.3pre1.
You need to reproduce the problem on 1.4pre1.  You can use an old driver
with 1.4pre1 though.

> mmm, maybe I have not undertood anything at all...
> The "enable-adaptive" option worked correctly with a monoprocessor system,
> but isn't the "enable-multithread" option mandatory for a SMP system ?
> Isn't it the option to use to say click that we have got more that one CPU ?

Not quite.  It's the option to tell Click that you want *Click* to use more
than one CPU.  You can run click on a uniprocessor without
--enable-multithread fine; it'll use exactly one thread.