[Click] SMP Click - a doubt

Giorgio Calarco gcalarco at deis.unibo.it
Fri Apr 2 13:15:05 EST 2004

Hi all,

I'm making some performance tests using a 2-CPU
(Xeon 3GHz) system + Click (as a standard router).
I disabled Hyperthreading and compiled the patched
kernel (2.4.18) with the SMP option enabled.

After that, i have configured and compiled click 1.3pre1
with the following options:

 --enable-adaptive --enable-intel-cpu --enable-multithread=2 --disable-userl
evel

I have a big big doubt: can the "enable-adaptive" option be used together
with
the "enable-multithread" one ? Is it effective ? If so,
are the min-cpu-share nad max-cpu-share values applied to both processors ?

I ask this since if i monitor the CPUs activity using top, the
min-cpu value seems not to be strictly applied.
When I do not inject any packet into the router, CPU#0
is almost idle, while CPU#1 works respecting the min-cpu threshold.
On the opposite, when I inject traffic, CPU#0 is kept busy, while
CPU#1 is idle most of the time (at least that what seems to happen,
consider that top has got 1 sec granularity).

Thus, is that what I should expect to happen ?

thanks

giorgio

Ing. Giorgio Calarco
DEIS - Università di Bologna
Viale Risorgimento, 2 40136 Bologna - Italy
Tel: 051 2093776 Fax: 051 2093073
E-mail: gcalarco at deis.unibo.it
PGP: http://www.deis.unibo.it/GCalarco/Giorgio_Calarco.asc