[Click] Click-troubles!

Badhri Varanasi badhri at cs.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 14 11:38:52 EST 2003

Eddie,
      Thanx a lot for your reply. We started with RH7.2 running 2.4.7-10
kernel on a PIII i686. We setup networking in the normal manner and all files
were updated fine. We then downloaded the 2.4.18 kernel from kernel.org and
performed the click install as per instructions given. We also tested all
configurations in the examples section of your web-page (both with click &
click-install) and everything worked fine. We then started modifying some of
those examples and the configuration i sent was one such(test1.click). The
sequence of steps were:

1. click-install test1.click
2. as expected, none of ping/ssh/traceroute/tcpdump would work.
3. click-uninstall
4. Step 2 doesnt change. None of them work. When i try to ping another
machine, it gives me the message "Destination host unreachable".
5. ifconfig and netstat outputs were normal, though tcpdump showed no output.
6. We reboot the system and there is no change in status.

We did not face this problem for
FromDevice(eth0) -> Queue -> Host(eth0);
or for
FromDevice(eth0) -> Print(Ok) -> Discard;

Its only when ToDevice was used, did it give us problems. We faced the problem
on two machines and now we've reinstalled everything from scratch.We're
apprehensive about testing out the same configuration again. Any clues on how
to avoid this?

Thanx a lot,
Badhri Varanasi

Quoting Eddie Kohler <kohler at icir.org>:

> Badhri,
>
> >    I'm just getting started to Click and am facing some serious problems. I
>
> > was just testing out some sample Click configurations and one such
> > configuration was
> > FromDevice(eth0)->Queue(2000)->ToDevice(eth0)
> >
> > I tried out this configuration both at the user level and at the kernel
> level
> > and strangely, after i quit Click, in both cases my normal networking got
> > messed up. I was unable to use tcpdump/ping/traceroute/ssh. Even rebooting
> the
> > system did not help.
>
> We have *never* to my knowledge seen a case in which Click screwed up the
> system so completely that re
booting did not help. It absolutely should be