bus PCI limited?

Robert Morris rtm at amsterdam.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Mar 15 09:50:17 EST 2003

Alessandro,

Have a look at the graphs at the end of this paper:

  http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/papers/click:asplos02.pdf

They suggest that a 32bit/33mHz PCI bus would limit you to just over
400,000 packets per second. They also suggest that an 800 mHz Pentium
III CPU limits you to just under 400,000 packets/second. I suspect
that a 1.6 gHz P4 is about the same speed, so you're likely to need
both a faster CPU and a faster bus if you want to forward faster.

Robert