[Click] Re: click load balancer ?

Andy Van Maele andy.vanmaele at intec.ugent.be
Fri Dec 19 13:40:44 EST 2003

Eddie Kohler wrote:

>>Also, is there click
>>support for any gigabit ethernet cards?  Click seems like an awesome
>>alternative to buying one of these crappy $10k boxes that are most
>>likely slower. Many thanks, Max
>>

>Yes! Intel e1000 cards, although our driver is a bit behind the times, and
>it may not support the newest cards.

Last week, I've bought and tested a new Intel Pro/1000 MT Dual NIC, so I
can give you some info about the drivers:
- for 2.2 kernels: the last driver from Intel is the e1000-4.3.15 , the
same version as the adapted e1000 driver in Click
- for 2.4 kernels: the last driver from Intel is the e1000-5.2.22.
The Pro/1000 Dual uses the same adapter as the single-port version of
the card, according to the Intel website.

To NIC we have tested, is running on a 2.2.20 kernel with the Intel
4.3.15 driver, and support polling with the e1000-4.x driver from Click.
On a 2.4.21 kernel, the card works with the 5.2.22 driver (Intel only
tested it up to kernel 2.4.20, but it builds without problems). When
using the e1000-4.x driver from Click on this 2.4.21 kernel, polling in
Click can be used.

Andy

  Andy Van Maele
  Department of Information Technology (INTEC),
  Ghent University - IMEC,
  Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, B-9000 Gent, Belgium
  tel.: +32-9264 9958
  fax.: +32-9264 9960
  e-mail : andy.vanmaele at intec.UGent.be