[Click] Re: click load balancer ?

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Thu Dec 18 09:45:26 EST 2003

Hi Max,

> Hi Eddie, I'm wondering if anyone's ever written a web load balancer for
> click?  I guess these things are just NATs that forward to one of N servers
> based on the hash of the source IP and port.

Yes! RoundRobinIPMapper does what you want. (It doesn't use a hash, though,
it allocates connectoins round-robin.)  See our OPENARCH paper
(www.icir.org/kohler/pubs/) on Click's general NAT support.

> Also, is there click
> support for any gigabit ethernet cards?  Click seems like an awesome
> alternative to buying one of these crappy $10k boxes that are most
> likely slower. Many thanks, Max

Yes! Intel e1000 cards, although our driver is a bit behind the times, and
it may not support the newest cards.