[Click] buffering issues

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Tue Dec 2 11:28:43 EST 2003

Hi Nagapramod,

>  I am Nagapramod Mandagere a student of University of
> Wyoming. I am looking for a delay inducing module. I am
> working on storage area networks and currently i need a
> module which and delay the traffic.I would like to know if
> your click software can be used to add a significant
> delay.If so considering that the buffer size will be the
> limiting factor , is a preset limit on buffer size you r
> using in your software?

It's been a while since you asked this question; sorry.

Yes, there are several elements in Click that can delay traffic, among them
DelayUnqueue, DelayShaper, and LinkUnqueue. The first two add a fixed delay
to every packet; the last emulates a serial link with a given latency and
bandwidth. (LinkUnqueue is only available in anonymous CVS Click.)

The user has control over buffer size in Click. Generally the hardest limit
is just the memory size.