Help with Polling Mode

Benoit Parrot bparrot at cynetanetworks.com
Mon Apr 28 09:48:44 EDT 2003

Hi,

I used click-1.3pre1 and yes I did use the appropriate kernel patch.
I also took a look at the current cvs version to see if anything would help.

After looking at the tulip modified driver code, something caught my eye
in the patched kernel 2.4.18 drivers/net/tulip/interrupt.c line 731.
Function: tulip_tx_clean()
731:734
+#if 0
+	if (tp->cur_tx - dirty_tx < TX_RING_SIZE - 2)
+		netif_wake_queue(dev);
+#endif

Since the behavior seem to suggest the NIC was going to sleep for some reason it made sense something was missing to wake it up.

I finally got it to work in Polling mode by re-enabling this piece of the code and rebuilding the kernel.

This might not be the cleanest way to fix it but it works.

By the way I had try this on two totally different hardware installs:
1) Dell P3 600Mhz with two Linksys LNE100 tx
2) Force Single Board Computer P3-1200Mhz with a Ramix PMC663J (Dual Tulip NIC)

They both experienced the same behavior without my fix and both work correctly with it.

If you can comment on how to better fix this I would be glad to try it.

Thanks for your reply.

Benoit