SMP spinlocks: IPRewriter vs TCPRewriter

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Mon Apr 14 16:43:16 EDT 2003

> In comparing the two elements I see that IPRewriter has compile time
> conditionals for SMP under different platforms but TCPRewriter does not.
> Is this because TCPRewriter has not been used in an SMP environment?
>
> This also brings up the issue of which elements have been tested in an
> SMP environment?

Most of Click has been tested/used on SMP machines, but *not* all of Click
has been tested/used with --enable-multithread. The locks in IPRewriter are
for the --enable-multithread case.

I wouldn't worry about the locks in your new element, unless and until you
or someone else needs to use it with --enable-multithread.