IPRewriter and IPMapper

Will Stockwell bigwill at mit.edu
Mon Apr 14 16:42:26 EDT 2003

I'm putting together an IPMapper element.  In testing it, I've used the
configuration below:

FromDevice(eth1,true) -> MarkIPHeader(14) -> ipc :: IPClassifier(net 18.97.0.0/16,
								 -);

balancer :: BalancedRateIPMapper(o1ctr, o2ctr);

ipc[0] -> inctr :: Counter -> [0]iprw :: IPRewriter(balancer);
ipc[1] -> Discard;

iprw[0] -> o1q :: Queue -> o1ctr :: Counter -> ToDevice(eth2);
iprw[1] -> o2q :: Queue -> o2ctr :: Counter -> ToDevice(eth3);

Upon installing this configuration, I get the following information from
various element handlers:

[root at myhost click]# cat inctr/rate
209.961
[root at myhost click]# cat o1ctr/rate o2ctr/rate
0
0
[root at myhost click]# cat iprw/nmappings
0 0
[root at myhost click]# cd iprw
[root at myhost iprw]# ls
class   handlers          name       patterns  tcp_done_mappings
udp_mappings
config  mapping_failures  nmappings  ports     tcp_mappings
[root at myhost iprw]# cat mapping_failures
0

So it seems as if the IPRewriter is not making any sort of requests to the
IPMapper.  As a sanity check, I setup this same configuration using a
RoundRobinIPMapper with a single pattern for null mapping "- - - -", only
to have the same problem.  If I put patterns directly into IPRewriter, it
seems to work fine.  Thus, I am led to believe that I am somehow
misconfiguring the interaction between IPRewriter and an IPMapper.  Can
anyone confirm my suspicions?  Perhaps my understanding of IPRewriter is
insufficient?

Will