Polling extensions for 3com "Tornado" ethernet card

Puneet Zaroo zaroo at cs.purdue.edu
Mon Apr 7 19:31:11 EDT 2003

Hi,
I was just wondering whether  i can find somewhere the source of the 3com
network
driver (3c59x.c) with support for the click polling extensions.
I have  a version here at purdue  but the
implementation seems to be  buggy, and is causing me some grief.

On a related note, i want to modify the PollDevice element into
FromPollDevice (say), such that the element switches from polling to
interrupt mode when it isnt servicing high loads.
I plan to do this by calling

_dev->poll_off(_dev) whenever the element decides to switch to the
interrupt mode and call _dev->poll_on(_dev) whenever it decides to
reenable polling.
Under varying network conditions, the above 2 methods
might be called with a high frequency. Can this lead to any potential
problems?

I havent really looked inside the implementation of any driver with the
click polling extensions.. so, i am afraid that the polling extensions
might have been designed assuming that the device wont switch between the
2 modes very often.
Or, is it safe to switch between the 2 modes frequently..
thanks in advance,
-Puneet