hot swapping overhead

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Tue Apr 1 16:37:23 EST 2003

Hi Yu,

> One of my
> question is that what's the processing overhead(in detail ns,us,ms,etc)
> of the hot swapping with the different Config files,say, how long will
> it take to break old pipes and build new pipes when we change Config
> file on fly? Because I was not able to find such results among your
> published papers. I'll appreciate it very much for your kindly help.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'breaking old pipes and building new
pipes', and hotswapping speed depends on the configuration in question, but
you should be able to achieve a hundred hotswaps per second or more. This
number will drop a lot if the configurations require loading new modules
(if they've gone through click-fastclassifier or click-devirtualize, for
example). If you need more specific numbers, we could investigate this more
carefully.

Anyone else on the list have different experience?