Queue

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Thu Nov 14 09:14:48 EST 2002

Hi Adam,

> I am using click as a linux module. When I try to create a Queue of size
> greater than 32000, it gives me an out of memory error. Is this due to
> the system limitation or is there an artificial limit imposed within
> click . I need to have a large queue since I am using a gigabit link and
> there are a lot of packets. Please suggest any alternative if possible. I
> have close to 1GB RAM. 32000 packets is not a very big number considering
> large packets.

It is due to a system limitation of sorts. In the kernel, you cannot
allocate extremely large objects unless you use a special allocation
strategy.

A queue of 32000 packets is almost certainly a bad idea anyway. It would
take a very long time to drain such a large queue. I'd try a much smaller
queue and see if it overflows in practice. It probably won't, unless you
are going down from a gigabit link to a much smaller link, in which case
any queue would overflow.