From Ct

Eddie Kohler kohler at icir.org
Fri May 31 00:13:22 EDT 2002

Hi Gaetano.

> 1. How I had to do to run the configuration make-ip-conf.pl I found in
> the directory /conf ?

make-ip-conf.pl is a Perl script. Run the Perl script just on the command
line: ./make-ip-conf.pl . Its output is a Click configuration that you can
feed to click-install, for example. You'll need to change make-ip-conf.pl:
the addresses, and so forth.

> 2. I don't understand the real configuration graph resulting from the code
> in conf/make-ip-conf.pl. I thought it should be similar to that implemented
> in conf/fake-iprouter.click with the only difference that it was necessary
> replace InfiniteSource element with FromDevice or PollDevice elements;
> EtherEncaps with ARPQueriers elements and the network sinks Discard with
> ToDevice. I don't understand the meaning of the first line code. In wich
> way the "for" cycles work ? In wich way StaticIPLookup element works? I
> don't understand the IP routing table.

There are no "for" cycles in the configuration itself. The Perl script has
a for loop or two. Run the Perl script and look at its output

> 3. If I want to define a compound element (using the keyword elemenclass)
> to modify the dropping policy, for example, I have to define it in the same
> file conf/make-ip-conf.pl, before I use it ?

You can modify the output of make-ip-conf.pl

> 4. What is the meaning of the string "18.26.4.255/32" ? It isn't an IP
> address.

This is a network address in CIDR notation. "32" is the length of the
relevant prefix; since IPv4 addrs are 32 bits long, this particular
"network" is just a single address. "18.0.0.0/8", however is a whole Class
A network: all addrs whose first "8" bits equal "18".